GPS is a generic Android service with your phone and independent from Sportractive. To ensure that Sportractive is provided with precise GPS information you should check these settings:
- In Android settings select "Location". Here the switch has to be "On" and the Mode must be set to "High accuracy".
- Ensure you have an active Internet connection. The Android GPS is an assisted GPS (see Wikipedia Assisted GPS that needs to load additional internet data for accurate positioning. Without an Internet connection the Android GPS will not work reliably. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!
- In the Android settings, check that GPS is not stopped by the power management of the phone during recording after the display goes off
- Trees and big buildings can seriously affect the accuracy of your GPS.
- Note: Google Maps can work with just WiFi and 3G/cellphone positioning so finding your location in Google Maps does not mean your GPS is working properly.
If you find your Android phone is still not providing GPS positions for Sportractive after checking all the above, please check out the following:
- Touch any one of the three numeric fields in the workout mode: this opens a full selection of options. Select "Satellites". The display now shows the number of GPS satellites which are visible to and being used by your phone. These values are provided by the Android system and they are independent from Sportractive. The value of "Satellites Used" must be greater than four. In practice, values greater than six are common.
- Even if the number of "Satellites Used" is greater than four, the accuracy may not be good enough for Sportractive to use the position.
- Sportractive filters out GPS satellite signals with low accuracy. This filter can be disabled in the settings for test purposes. For normal operation, however, the filter should be activated again.
If you still find that Sportractive is unable to record your activity then you might wish to experiment with any other GPS tracking app operating in parallel to see whether it picks up a good GPS signal. By comparing Sportractive and the other tracking app you can check whether the problem lies with Sportractive or with your Android phone simply not being able to find sufficient GPS signals.